Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Well THAT wasn't so bad.

I've been dreading taking a stab at iambic pentameter since Professor Burton announced it in class. It's taken me 6 days, and finally here I am, writing. And you know what I discovered? I'm actually enjoying this! I know, right? Madness.

I began to think, "Well, this isn't so hard. If I had all the time in the world, I could write whole plays in this dang rhythm too." So my random thought of the day is: maybe Shakespeare was a wonder to the world not because he could write, but because somehow, someway, he made us remember him. Maybe there have been forty-thousand other people since his time that could write as well as he could, but for some reason we acknowledge him. :) Hope that one made you think. :)

So here is my attempt at Shakespeare-style-writing.Shakespeare might be laughing at me right now. *Disclaimer: I don't presume to elevate my work to Shakespeare's level. I'm not saying I'm good at this. I'm just saying it was easier than I thought. :) Just to clarify.*



So I decided to pick a scene from the end of Act 3. I imagined a scene much like Henry V on the eve of battle. Kind of a self-defining, cause-promoting speech. :) Happy blogging.

This night, a lightened deep, a forest sweep
Here to my eyes comes swiftly through my glass.
Where once a fogged and blinded mind did seek,
Tremendous fires have now refinéd me.
For those in flames and those with sword did strike
A new man did they mold and form of me.
Now darkness of thus forest seems to know
The trouble of heart burdens that do rest
On simple matter nigh, yet every piece.
And seems to make a mock of me tonight
As I hence leave behind dark glory days,
To be the man I once was held to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment