Friday, February 24, 2012

Lear on Film/Fun with IMDB

Ok first of all, I read King Lear my senior year of high school. . . ok so I kinda half read it/half read the NoFear version...but still! I more or less enjoy the play, even then. Pretty overall decent storyline. Shakespeare does it again.

Except, my image of the play is slightly tainted by the Michael Elliot movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0148376/  It was a pretty dark movie........which works, I guess, because it's a tragedy. I thought the movie was relatively good...but it was two years ago...but I think I'm still a little bitter toward this play because the gorging-Gloucester's-eyes-out scene was SUPER graphic. Ew. Other than that they do a pretty good job with it...if you are interested in watching a film version of it. Here's a clip of the end, if you wanted to get a sense of the darkness I was talking about:

I guess that's why I was a bit surprised when Professor Burton said he hadn't seen any versions he super liked yet. Perhaps we're in luck: congrats to Hollywood. A new version of King Lear is supposedly on it's way. We'll see if Professor Burton likes this one. :) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371129/

Also, the kept thinking I knew the actor that played Lear. It was drivin' me crazy because I knew the other movie he did was GREAT. Then I remembered: It wasn't the same guy at all. It was Patrick Godfrey, the actor that plays Leonardo in Ever After. So I stalked him on IMDB, obviously, and found out that he actually IS in a Shakespeare play: Love's Labour's Lost. The movie. Of the Globe Theatre Version. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1710580/ THAT SOUNDS LIKE MY DREAM. *Sigh* Someday I'll make it to London. For now...I might just go see that movie...and until then...I guess BYU's production will have to be enough. *hehe*

No comments:

Post a Comment