Monday, January 9, 2012

Personal Learning Plan

Boring title. I know. But here's the thing: it works. Because this semester, I intend to learn from Shakespeare. Frankly, I'm tired of just reading Shakespeare. I'm tired of thinking inside the box. Maybe, just maybe, there is something more to Shakespeare's works then just his story lines. I've heard people's theories that perhaps Shakespeare was a women. Or a group of writers. Or that his plays were JUST comedies. Or that Romeo and Juliet is a love story.

I don't buy it. I think his plays are more like an iceberg than people want to believe. There's so much to be discovered under the surface of his plots.

Take Romeo and Juliet. Love story, right?
But maybe, just maybe, it's not. Maybe it tells more about the human mind. About how it gets carried away. Or makes rash decisions. Or fails to communicate.

I don't know, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is more than meets the eye, here. And I intend to find just that. This semester I'm digging deep. There are things here to be discovered: common threads. I hope to string a few of his plays together by finding common themes. Life themes. Like how life is beautiful. Or how there is more to life then your everyday problems. How to deal with trials.

Shakespeare's plots = life themes. And I intend to find them.

1 comment:

  1. So your blog isn't yet posted on the Shakespeare Unbound site yet, but I typed in your name and 232 and Blogspot and BAM, there she is. Do I win a prize?

    I'm intrigued as to what you'll find in the depthy depths of Shakespeare. Keep a good man in the know (or I suppose I'll just follow your blog).

    ReplyDelete