Thursday, January 19, 2012

Shakespeare goes to Psych class

I'm just sitting here reading my Social Psychology text book following our classroom discussion today about Perception. Basically, we perceive situations based on our background.

For example: if you "prime" a subject with certain words, they recall specific memories. So, your mind effects what you distinguish.

Or: the mood of a person affects their perception of their past moods. So, your senses change your perspective.

AND THEN: right in the middle of the text, I read:
"The error of our eye directs our mind: 
What error leads must err."
-Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida, 1601-1602

AWESOME! Shakespeare and Psych at the same time. He really knew his stuff.

2 comments:

  1. So cool!!! That's totally true! It made me start thinking about how everyone analyzes Shakespeare's plays differently... Of course past experiences are going to influence the way you look at the world, and, more specifically, Shakespeare :) Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?!?!?!? I love that all my subjects blend into each other! It's kinda cool to think you can get something new from the plays every time you read them....kinda like the scriptures......follow me?

    ReplyDelete